Saturday 9 July 2016






HELLO, HELLO!! I RECOGNISE YOU!! PART II


Hello, Bill! 

I thought it was time I updated my "Hello, hello, I recognise you" blog!

As you know, I have admired your journalism for years, and I'm glad I can finally (bit late possibly) pursue my own career in broadcast journalism. 

The first time I saw you was that happy day in 1993, when you were still a presenter at ITN, having only just started your career there a few years earlier. Since then I have wanted to follow you into journalism but circumstances, which are too in depth to go into here, prevented me from doing so. Now I have an opportunity and am jumping on it.

Remember if it wasn't for you I would never have realised what I was capable of. You have shown me I have a talent for writing, for thinking for myself, for having opinions, for being able to see beyond myself and see the world around me. You have made me see that the world can sometimes be a nasty place, but we have to shine a light. We have to show people this, so no-one is forgotten. You have also made me realise I'm braver than I knew. My parents shielded me even as an adult from things they believed could upset me. But I have found that I can face those things without a problem. Yes, things upset me, but it has to do with compassion, not fear. There have been some horrific images in some of your reports and they have often made me angry, but I faced them and tried to understand why people sometimes behave in ways that sometimes affect our sensibilities so strongly. 

I also realised I had a talent for running. Now I can run a 5K with the best of them. I an not very fast, but the point is, I can do it.  

Having you as my hero has only been a good thing. I know I have been a pain in the arse at times, but it's only because I admire you so much. 

Through all of it, you have been kind, patient, understanding, and you have always answered any questions I have. For that, I am more grateful than you will ever know. 

You have given me good advice, been one hell of a teacher, and a wonderful mentor and supported me in my dream to be like you (well, maybe not exactly. No-one could be 'exactly' like you. You're too damn good!!).

Of course, my ultimate dream is to work for you, whether it be at NBC or ITN. And I will continue to follow your amazing advice, and do whatever it takes to get there. Of course, I may end up being completely useless at journalism, but as someone once said, "To hell with the odds. All that matters in life is that we try".  I just want to discover this for myself. Hopefully, with your continuing support and friendship, I will. 

It has been an honour to have you as a hero, but even more to have you as a friend. I know how lucky I am to have you in my life and I don't take it for granted for a second. You are one of the sweetest, funniest, and most compassionate people I know. And it has been fun to spend time talking to you about news, CRY, your running, your family, including Max (yes, you've even talked about Max) and various other odd subjects that pop up.    

I want to thank you for being my hero, my inspiration and my friend. I can't wait to follow in your footsteps, and when I do get to finally work with you at some point, it will be an absolute privilege. 

Thank you for everything! And don't forget to be awesome.

Honoured to have you in my life














No comments:

Post a Comment