Wednesday 13 March 2024



                              GET OUT OF THE HANAMACHI



A couple of days ago, I heard the best news.  I found out that the people are being banned from the Geisha districts of Gion, commonly know as the Hannamachi. I was absolutely thrilled. 

I have visited Japan and worn kimono. The amount of attention I got while wearing one was utterly ridiculous. Not just from foreigners, but from the Japanese as well. 

I think the foreigners' thinking was,"Oh, she's wearing a kimono, she must be a Geisha", even though the garment has been around hundreds of years and was often worn by everyone no matter who you were. 

Nowadays they are worn not only by Geisha, but for ceromonies of people who are not, like Coming of Age Day, Shichi-go-san etc.

The thinking of the Japanese was not that I was wearing a Japanese garment. It was more that I was a Westerner wearing a Japanese garment.

 I was walking around a textile centre being photgraphed by old men, none with my consent, except hubby Don, of course. It was insane. At first, it was quite flattering, but after a while, you start to get a bit creeped out. This is not to say Japanese men are creepy. They are the most kind, polite men you could meet. But I just wanted to walk around the textile centre and enjoy myself. The only reason I was wearing the kimono was to fulfill a childhood dream, not to be ogled or be photographed.

Now imagine that harrassment everytime you and your older or younger maiko sister walk out of your Okiya (geisha house) and all the way down the street until you get to the teahouse. Annoying as hell. These women are trying to do a job, they are not circus animals, that are there for your enjoyment. I understand the interest, I really do. I have been fascinated by geisha since I was a little girl. However, I understood it was a special world and they were doing a job and needed to be left alone. When I went to Kyoto, I never went near the Hanamachi. To me Gion should be out of bounds to everyone except Geisha and the guests of the tea houses. 

At first you could go into Gion, but taking photos were banned. But this was unenforceable and non-Japanese took no notice of the ban anyway. Now people are banned altogether. It's been too long in coming.  This kind of intrusion is unacceptable. Stopping a maiko or geisha while they are heading to a job, just so you can have a photograph is the height of entitlement and I for one am glad it can't happen anymore. My only question is how it will be implemented. The Asian cultures obey all rules (except when driving apparently), but Westerners do not. So how do we stop them from entering Gion? Arrest them? Bit harsh me thinks. I look forward to seeing what happens. and I hope the Geisha can now get on with their jobs in peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment